And so, 2014 has begun.
I still can’t believe 2013 went so quick. Despite me losing a family friend in August (on Yorkshire Day, of all days), it was mainly a good year for me. I completed the Race For Life for the second time and went a few places. I even tried to attempt Project 365 but, after our internet conked out for a couple of months, I had to give it up. I will try it again this year so watch this space.
Anyway, there are a number of things, sportswise or otherwise, that I’m very much looking forward to this year, and here are my top five.
001. Winter Olympics: Russia have already let themselves down with most of the rest of the world, having made gay propaganda illegal, and most people have been trying to boycott the Olympic Games, but I’m still very much looking forward to seeing just how much of a cock-up (no pun intended) they’ll make of it in Sochi in February. Not that the Brits will win many medals though. We never do at the Winter Olympics, sadly.
002. Challenge Cup: As a rugby league fan, I’m also looking forward to the Challenge Cup (and, in fact, the whole Super League season) starting again. Also hoping my Leeds Rhinos boys make it to the final again this year, as I’ll be going to Wembley for the first time. I just hope, if we do get to the final, we DON’T make a complete hash of things… again!
003. World Cup: It may World Cup time again but don’t expect me to support England. I support the Republic of Ireland and we’re not going to Brazil so I’ll probably stay on the good side of my best friend and support Italy. Or Spain. Hell, I’d have even supported any of the Scandinavian teams had they made it. Sadly, Sweden completely blew it against Portugal, so there aren’t any going to Brazil. Oh well…
004. Eurovision Song Contest: It may be tacky and cheesy but I don’t care! Eurovision will be held in Copenhagen this year, after Denmark took the win in Malmö last year, and I’m hoping to blog about it again this year as usual (watch this space). PS: Can we PLEASE send someone who will actually DO the job this year? And hopefully a bit younger? Bonnie Tyler let us down last year but at least we didn’t come last again! (Sorry Ireland…)
005. Russell Howard/McBusted: And, finally, a couple of gigs I’m looking forward to at the First Direct Arena in Leeds. I adore Russell Howard, as some of you will know, and I’ve been a fan of McFly and Busted for as long as I remember, so I’m looking forward to seeing how the supergroup goes. Charlie’s not there, however, but I never really warmed to him anyway. My two favourites were always Matt and James.
And that’s basically it for my first blog post of 2014. I’m looking forward to a few other things, such as the new series of The Big Reunion (A1, minus Paul (what was the point of that when they’ve been back since 2009?), and Gareth Gates? Hello!), the new Formula 1 season (anyone but Sebastian bloody Vettel) and, possibly, Race For Life for the third year, but the main ones are the ones I’ve listed above. I’ll try and blog again when I can. I need to change my header too at some point.
Happy New Year!